27 July 2006

japanese designer

today im looking at the work of top japanese designer - shinzi katoh. shinzi is one of the worlds best known zakka designers, and it seems as though there are few products he cannnot turn his hand to. there are ceramics, bags, glasses, towels, fabrics, and more. for those unfamilar with the term 'zakka', its often difficult to put into english, but it means all the 'small, various products used in everyday life', which encompasses household goods, daily necessities and sundries.lately, zakka has come to represent a style of art and craft that is simple, charming, and of Japanese esthetic. shinzi has his own website here at pumpkin family.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, everything is so cute I love all! Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

Okay - I could spend a day on that site - I have a new fav! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing. Love all the ceramics and that great tree tote!

M. Patrizio said...

Hello!

Someone just sent me a link to your blog and I am dying! (in a good way) I love everything!!

Anonymous said...

i love shinzi katoh's work! i bought that canvas bag (the orange one with the trees) from the SF MOMA last year. They also had the blue bird bag...but when I went back to get it, they no longer had anymore of Shinzi's bags. I was so sad!

Anonymous said...

i love his work as well! i have one of the bird cups as well as this one with a cute donkey on it. it makes me happy when i'm drinking coffee from it. thanks for sharing!

Johanna Masko said...

Absolutely charming!!!

MM said...

I am in love with this blog. Can I link to this one too?

IMEDAGOZE said...

love love love the cups, mugs, & glasses! Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

where can you buy them?
any dealers in north america?
i'm in love with these cutie things

Unknown said...

I found a new shop that sells Shinzi Katoh!!! www.threepotatofourshop.com

Cool stuff! Glad to see someone selling his gorgeous products...they are so hot right now too. I just bought a tray from threepotatfourshop.com

neat stuff.

Anonymous said...

I used to own that glass with the little red-hooded girl feeding the blue birds! It broke about a year ago and I've been checking eBay and Shinzi Katoh's site ever since, in the hopes that I'll find it again. If you have any ideas where I can find this particular glass, I'd love to know.